There's only one way to make this - the way Bob Cobb did in 1926 at The Brown Derby restaurant in Los Angeles, California. Our editors didn't even have to hunt for this one!
The salad, packed with protein and vegetables, is a meal all to itself. Just keep it out of the sun as much as possible because you want those veggies crisp and fresh.
The Original Cobb Salad
Makes approximately 6 servings and takes an hour.
- 6 slices bacon
- 3 eggs
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 3 cups chopped, cooked chicken meat
- 2 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 3/4 cup blue cheese, crumbled
- 1 avocado - peeled, pitted and diced
- 3 green onions, chopped
- Place eggs in a saucepan and cover completely with cold water. Bring water to a boil. Cover, remove from heat, and let eggs stand in hot water for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from hot water, cool, peel and chop.
- Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain, crumble and set aside.
- Divide shredded lettuce among individual plates.
- Evenly divide and arrange chicken, eggs, tomatoes, blue cheese, bacon, avocado and green onions in a row on top of the lettuce.
- Drizzle with ranch or blue cheese dressing and enjoy.