A classic American cookout needs classic American sides. Nothing is a more classically American side dish than baked beans. But these aren’t your great-grandfather’s beans.
Our editors’ favorite version has smokey bacon, is sweet yet savory and is 100% homemade. Even Paula Dean doesn’t make beans this tasty.
All American Summer Potato Salad
Makes 20 servings and takes an hour.
- 2 (16-ounce) cans navy beans
- 3 strips bacon, diced
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ medium sweet onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ cup unsulphured molasses
- ¼ cup dark brown sugar
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon prepared yellow mustard
- 2 slices bacon, halved
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 325º F.
- Pour navy beans into medium stockpot.
- In a medium skillet, add diced bacon, onion, and garlic. Cook until bacon is crisp and onion is tender. Remove from heat and add to navy beans.
- Add Worcestershire sauce, molasses, brown sugar, ketchup, and yellow mustard. Stir to combine well. Pour into deep dish you plan to serve from or leave in stockpot. Top with bacon and sprinkle top with brown sugar.
- Place in oven and bake 45 minutes. Increase temperature to 425º F for 10 minutes to crisp bacon.
- Remove from oven and allow to rest about 5 minutes before serving.