Military officials raised the alert level at military bases across the country Thursday night because of growing concern of an ISIS terror attack in the U.S.
The move comes after two key developments related to ISIS in the last week.
First, it comes just hours after FBI Director James Comey told reporters that there are “thousands” of ISIS followers online inside the United States.
Earlier in the week ISIS claimed responsibility for an attack in Texas which saw two radicals gunned down after firing shots at cartoon drawing contest. In the claim the terror group said it had 71 militants across 15 states.
The federal government is clearly monitoring the situation and taking action to ensure increased readiness in case of an attack.
“We have a general concern, obviously, that ISIS is focusing on the uniformed military and law enforcement,” Comey said Thursday. Europe, particularly the UK, has seen such attacks that target random uniformed police and military with beheadings.
The order to raise the alert level was signed by Admiral William Gortney, head of the U.S. Northern Command, who said “we have the same concern about the potential threat posed by violent homegrown extremists,” said Captain Jeff Davis, a NORTHCOM spokesman.
The threat level, Force Protection Bravo, is the third-highest on a five-tier scale.
No specific threat was mentioned by any military officials at the press briefing.