Mac and Cheese is a classic meal that the whole family can enjoy. Here is our authentic BBQ Mac n’ Cheese recipe that’ll leave your mouth watering.
All family BBQ’s have to include the classic American mac and cheese. It’s a staple for a reason!
Here is a slightly simple, but tasty recipe that’ll have everyone lining up for seconds.
Mac and Cheese Recipe
This recipe serves 4 with a prep time of 1 hour, cook time of 20 minutes and rest time of 15 minutes.
- 4 ounces of Macaroni
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups of water
- 4 strips of bacon (optional)
- 2 cloves of garlic (optional)
- 1 green Jalapeño (optional
- 4 ounces of cheese (cheddar or a blend)
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 2 tablespoons of flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Graded Cheddar Cheese
- bread crumbs
- Pre-heat oven to 400°F and put a 2 quart pot with 4 cups of water on a burner, add 1/2 teaspoon of salt and bring to a boil
- Make the optional mix-ins – cook bacon till crunchy in a frying pan, chop the rest of the optional ingredients into 1/4″ chunks, mince garlic and jalapeño then cook until limp. Don’t cook through! Add garlic and cook for about 1 minute.
- Make the cheese sauce – In a 2 quart saucepan melt the butter on low heat. Add flour, with a whisk, mix them together and cook for 5 minutes or until it turns a yellow-ish colour. Add the milk slowly and whisk while adding it, make sure there is no lumps. Cook over medium heat and stirring frequently. Once it bubbles and thickens add cheese mix, 1/3 at a time. Continue stirring until the cheese is melted and there is no lumps. Mix in the salt, black pepper and paprika and the optional mix-ins.
- Boil the macaroni – Add the macaroni to the boiling water and stir. When the water comes back up to a boil, turn down the heat a bit until they are almost al dente. Take them off when they are still a bit chewy because it will cook more in the oven. Drain in a colander and shake to get as much water out as possible. Leave them in the colander until cheese sauce is done. Pour the mac into the cheese sauce and stir thoroughly.
- Bake – Pour Macaroni and cheese sauce mixture into an oven safe container or pan. Sprinkle with cheese and breadcrumbs, bake at 400°F for 30 minutes or until it begins to burble. Keep an eye on it so the top doesn’t burn.
- Rest – Let it sit and cool for about 15 minutes.
There you go, a Mac and Cheese recipe with a creative twist. This is sure to be a hit at the family cookout!