Plant-based diets are souring in popularity, not only for their nutritional value but for their positive environmental impact as well. This recipe will teach you how to make your own vegan ground beef! Not only is it tasty, it’s healthy as well!
Are you interested in learning how to make your own vegan ground beef? This recipe is perfect for the beginner or the seasoned cook! It’s relatively easy but also delicious and nutritious.
what Is Plant-Based?
Plant-based foods are meant to mimic the texture and flavors of animal products. There are heaps of plant-based alternatives that are often much healthier, more nutritious and better on the environment. The livestock and meat industry is a huge contributor to pollution. It affects the water, earth and air quality. Not only does it consume huge amounts of water, it is a leader in deforestation and animal abuse.
Choosing to eat plant-based is an important role you can play in saving our planet. Choosing a vegan/vegetarian diet is a small but crucial way to ensure the health and safety of future generations who inhabit the Earth. It can be intimidating at first but it get easier with time. Luckily we are in an age with huge technological advancements. This means we can eat plant-based foods that taste, feel and smell identical to meat.
How To Make Your Own Vegan Ground Beef
The importance of choosing vegan/vegetarian is evident. It’s often healthier and better for the planet. Not only is this recipe easy, it’s high in protein, gluten-free as well as soy and nut free! Here is how you can make vegan ground beef at home:
- Anthony’s Textured Vegetable Protein (TVP) – This is the base of the vegan ground beef – 1 cup
- Vegetable Broth – 1 cup
- Tomato Paste – 2 tablespoons
- Soy Sauce – 1 tablespoon
- Vegan Worcestershire Sauce – Some brands contain anchovies, so read the label beforehand. – 1 tablespoon
- Onion Powder – 1 teaspoon
- Garlic Powder – 1 teaspoon
- Paprika – 1/2 teaspoon
- Smoked Paprika – 1/4 teaspoon
- Black Pepper – 1/4 teaspoon
- Olive Oil – For sautéing
Preparation Time – 10 minutes Cook Time – 10 – 15 minutes
This recipe makes about 1.5lb of vegan ground beef and keeps for about 5 days in a fridge. Keep it in a freezer to last longer.
- In a large bowl whisk together the vegetable broth, soy sauce, tomato paste, vegan Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika and black pepper
- Mix the TVP and let it sit for 5 minutes
- On medium heat in a pan with olive oil, add the vegan ground beef mixture to the pan. Sauté for about 10 minutes or until brown.
What Can You Use Vegan Ground Beef For?
There are many ways you can substitute meat with vegan options! Here are some ideas:
- Tacos (just add taco seasoning to the recipe)
- Shepherd’s Pie