Texas is known for being both independent and loving spice. A classic Texas BBQ sauce has little of each. This recipe is spicy but not too hot, with just the right amount of smoke.
This sauce goes best with ribs, chicken or even steak. A little goes a long way!
Spicy Texas BBQ Sauce
Makes approximately 2 cups
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 slices lemon
- 1 cup real maple syrup
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic; cook and stir until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in the orange juice, cider vinegar, lemon juice, lemon slices, maple syrup, Worcestershire sauce, ketchup, molasses, and brown sugar.
- Season with dry mustard, salt, red pepper flakes, cumin and paprika. Simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Remove lemon slices before using.
Enjoy and let us know what you think!