Can dogs have CBD oil? With cannabis products becoming legal worldwide, we may be wondering if it is safe for our pets. Well, we have the answers!
When it comes to the question, can dogs have CBD, there is a lot of information. It can be difficult to know what’s real and what’s fake. We all want the best for our dogs, so we put together everything you need to know.
What is cbd oil?
CBD means Cannabidiol, which is a main compound found in cannabis and hemp products. In most cases, CBD contains very little to no THC. THC or delta-9-tetrahydocannabinol is the compound in marijuana that gets your high. Most CBD products are actually made from hemp.
Can dogs have cbd?
Most veterinarians will agree that you should not give your pet any amount or forms of THC. Animals can’t communicate with words and often times act stoic. They will probably not enjoy marijuana the same ways you do.
However, there are several ongoing studies that show CBD can be effective for pets. The CBD used in these studies are very specific and definitely require professional opinion before going out and making any purchases.
related – 10 reasons to adopt a pet
What can cbd treat in dogs?
For humans, CBD and even THC are used to treat all sorts of conditions. Like Anxiety, pain, epilepsy, inflammation and nausea.
With dogs it is a little different. Due to little amounts of information on the subject, there is only anecdotal evidence of its benefits. CBD for dogs may help with:
It is important to remember that there are many businesses selling CBD oil for dogs but that doesn’t mean they are safe or beneficial. Currently, there are no CBD products approved by the FDA for animal use.
does cbd for dogs have any side effects?
Because there isn’t much research available, the possible side effects of CBD for dogs can only be related to the effects of humans. Some side effects may include:
- Dry mouth – Decrease in saliva production, could cause increase of thirst
- Drowsiness – CBD can be used for anxiety and does offer a calming effect which can contribute to drowsiness.
- Low blood pressure – High doses of CBD is known to cause drops in blood pressure and can cause light headedness.
Risk of CBD for dogs
Due to limited data, it is unknown what dose could be considered toxic or even fatal. There is no current dosing chart available therefor any supplement or medication has various risks.
The best practice is to start off in small doses and monitor how your dog reacts. Additionally, always talk to your vet first.
best products to look for
After talking to your veterinarian about can dogs have CBD or not, there are some products that are better than others. All oils are different and you want a high quality CBD oil for your dog.
- Go Organic – If it is not organic, it could contain pesticides, fungicides or solvents. All of which are harmful and dangerous to your pets health.
- Look For Manufacturers Certificate – Most CBD products will have a manufacturers certificate that tells the exact amount of CBD in the product. Additionally, this is important to ensure there is no THC.
- Don’t Cheap Out – High quality and purity can be most costly. A cheaper alternative can contain dangerous chemicals or toxic substances.
- Buy CBD as a Liquid – There are dog treats that contain CBD, but it is best to give as an oil or tincture. It is easier to adjust the dosage this way.
Lastly, it is important to always get a professional opinion before giving your pet or even yourself a new substance.
Let us know in the comment if you have tried CBD for dogs and your thoughts!