Plant-based food can get pricey, but we are here to teach you how to make vegan sausages at home. Not only is this recipe easy, it’s tasty as well!
Vegetarian and vegan diets are becoming much more popular. Eating a vegetarian diet has huge benefits for both our health and the environment. The meat industry is a huge contributor to climate change and animal cruelty. This recipe is easy, affordable and once your have the ingredients you can make them over, and over again.
How To Make Vegan Sausages
Prep Time = 20-25 minutes Cook Time = 50 minutes Total Time = 1 Hour 30 minutes (approximately)
First you will prepare the seitan, which is what the food processor is for. The seitan will be what the sausage is made out of. Additionally, you can use seitan for a variety of recipes. It is wonderful as a meat substitute in sandwiches and of course, for sausages or hotdogs too.
- Large pan
- Steaming basket
- Food processor
- Aluminum foil
- Parchment paper
- 3/4 cup Anthony’s Vital Wheat Gluten
- 1/4 cup sparkling water
- 1/2 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika from The Spice Lab
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 garlic clove chopped
- 1/2 large white onion chopped
- 1/4 cup cooked chickpeas
- In a large pan with canola oil, Sautee the onion and garlic until soft. Then add the cumin and fennel seeds. Cook for a minute.
- In a food processor, add the chickpeas, onion + garlic mixture, tomato paste, salt, thyme, sparkling water, smoked paprika and soy sauce. Pulse until it is saucy, then add the wheat gluten and pulse it until it comes together in a ball.
- Prepare a large pot with a couple inches of water and a steaming basket then bring it to a high heat.
- Divide the seitan (mixture from the food processor) into 4 equal chunks. Roll and press into a sausage-like shape. Roll each sausage in parchment paper and aluminum foil (tightly). Twist each end so that it is completely covered in foil. Add the sausages into the steaming basket and let them sit for 40 minutes, flipping them after 20 minutes.
- Let them cool down before removing the foil and parchment paper.
Bottom Line – How To Make Vegan Sausages At Home
Eating vegan or vegetarian shouldn’t cost you more than what meat would cost. This recipe is quick, easy and affordable. They aren’t super tough or rubbery, they are just right! Additionally, use the seitan in other creative ways like in a sandwich or as a meat substitute. Throw some yummy BBQ sauce on the vegan sausages and you’re ready to go!
Let us know how you life this recipe!